Unbelievably, it is almost 14 years since the inimitable Will Young starred in Pop Idol claiming the public’s hearts and the winner’s Crown.
Since then his glittering career has seen him deliver a string of award winning albums as well as take to the stage and screen showing his myriad talents and being a thoroughly good ‘sport’ in Sport Relief just weeks ago.
Will takes to the Doncaster Racecourse ‘Music Live’ stage on Saturday 14th May after a packed race card at the ‘Visit Bawtry’ Race Day.
And, just in case you can’t wait until then, here are ten facts about Will that you may, or may not know!
- He has a 2:2 in Politics from Exeter University
- 85% Proof is his sixth album
- He has 10 GCSE’s
- You can wish him a Happy Birthday on 20th January!
- In the Pop Idol semi-final, Will received 39.8% of the votes ahead of co-finalist Gareth Gates and eliminated Darius Danesh from the competition
- He won his first BRIT award in 2003 for ‘Best Breakthrough Artist’
- In Season 12 of BBC Top Gear programme he recorded the fastest ‘wet lap’ in a Chevrolet Lacetti during the ‘Star in a reasonably priced car’ feature.
- He was made a ‘companion’ of the Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts (LIPA) in 2009
Will also works tirelessly to support a number of charities close to his heart and on his latest album recorded and released the Burt Bacharach classic ‘What the world needs now’ to raise awareness and generate funds for global charity World Wildlife Fund of which he is an ambassador.
2016 sees Will take to the road covering the North, South, East and West of the UK in a series of outdoor concerts. And, even though he’s great at everything he does, it’s great to see him getting back to his roots – entertaining visitors with that soulful voice and charismatic stage presence that we have come to know so well.
Will – we look forward to welcoming you to Doncaster!
To book tickets for Will Young and the Visit Bawtry Race Day visit http://www.doncaster-racecourse.co.uk/whats-on/fixture/visit-bawtry-music-live/